Acupuncture Trigger Point Injection Therapy (Biopuncture) involves the injection of small amounts of solution into acupuncture points, trigger points, or into specific muscles by a qualified and licensed Acupuncturist with specific certification in Injection Therapy. The solutions used vary and commonly include herbal extracts, therapeutic grade vitamins, amino acids, saline, and even sterile water. This treatment is very effective in treating acute pain and chronic conditions including: allergies, arthritis, fibromyalgia, tendonitis, lower back pain, migraine headaches, weight loss/inch loss, cellulite reduction, facial rejuvenation, ás well as cold and flu prevention. It can also be a very effective adjunct in helping to treat symptoms in many chronic autoimmune diseases such as Rheumatoid Arthritis and Crohn’s Disease.*
The most commonly injected substances in Biopuncture are ultra-low dose homeopathic formulations. Health Pointe Jacksonville only uses FDA approved products such as those offered by Heel, Inc. For example,Traumeel ®, the most commonly injected product, has arnica montana to reduce swelling, comfrey to decrease joint pain, chamomile and St. John’s Wort to reduce pain, and calendula and echinacea to stimulate the immune system. Other products used will target muscle spasms or specific types of arthritis and neurogenic (nerve) pain.
What are the Side Effects of Weight loss/Inch loss Biopuncture?
The most common side effect after is soreness, similar to a strenuous workout. You may also develop knots in the injection area. This is considered normal and a sign that the injections are dissolving the fat cells. It is very important to drink lots of water after treatment to help flush the injections and dissolved fat cells out of the system. You will also want to eat a light meal beforehand so you can avoid any dizziness you may feel after treatment.*
How many treatments are required and how long do results last?
Depending on the area being treated, you may only require 3-5 treatments. However, some people may need as many as 15. Once you go through the prescribed number of treatments, you can expect the results to last for at least a year.* It is very important that you keep with an active healthy lifestyle so that you can maintain your results over time. Note that treatment alone is not a weight loss program, it is body contouring technique. While your body will maintain the same contour you achieved through treatments, any extra weight you gain will affect your body’s overall shape.
What is the expected recovery time?
Some patients will rest for a day or so after treatment, others feel completely fine by the next day without pain or soreness. This office procedure takes approximately 30 minutes per session and requires little preparation or recovery time. No heavy bandage or compression girdles are required.
- Precaution: The risk of bruising or bleeding may be increased by medications with anticoagulant effects, such as aspirin and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (e.g. Ibuprofen, Motrin, high doses of Vit E, Coumadin, Plavix, and certain herbs: Ginkgo Biloba, St. John’s Wort, Ginseng. Discontinuation of these for 1 week prior to any weight loss/inch loss treatment program is recommended to reduce this risk
Are there any restrictions?
General restrictions vary depending upon the area(s) and the condition that was treated.
» Avoid vigorous exercise for forty-eight (48) hours.
» Avoid hot showers for six to eight (6 – 8) hours.
» Avoid application of makeup four (4) hours with facial biopuncture.
» Use loose clothing around the area treated immediately following the injections.
Will my insurance company cover Acupuncture Injection Therapy?
Many health insurance plans will now cover Acupuncture Injection Therapy when related to an injury with acute or chronic pain. Due to the cosmetic nature of the weight loss/inch loss treatments however, health insurance is not involved.
Acupuncture Injection Treatment Protocols
- Fat Reduction/ Body sculpting: Usually 4 to 7 treatments (injections) are required at intervals of 2 to 4 weeks. Depending on the problem area, the number of procedures could increase. Because mesotherapy treatments are not for weight loss, it is generally recommended for patients who require a little fat reduction in specific areas, as with body contouring. A person with a body mass index of 30% or less is the typical candidate for this procedure.*
- Cellulite Reduction: Approximately 4 to 10 treatments are necessary at weekly intervals. Mesotherapy for cellulite is more successful than topical creams, and body treatments such as endermologie. It is best in dealing with mild to moderate degrees of cellulite.*
- Facial Rejuvenation: 4 to 8 treatments are suggested at weekly intervals. It is one of the most popular biopuncture treatments, as satisfied patients notice a substantial and immediate improvement in their facial appearance and reduction of wrinkles with each treatment. Our fat reduction treatments are excellent for shrinking double chins and tightening sagging jowls.*
- Cold and Flu Prevention and Treatment: Strengthens the natural immune response in case of a viral infection, reduces recovery times and severity of symptoms, helps prevent against subsequent cold and flu viral infections. General protocol is once/month during cold and flu season as prevention, or bi-weekly during an acute infection.*
*Results may vary
Additional Types of Biopuncture (Injection Therapy) offered at Health Pointe Jacksonville:
In addition to treating pain, musculo-skeletal issues and weight loss, Biopuncture has several other beneficial uses for internal organ dysfunction. By moderating the inflammatory process and stimulating the detoxification mechanism of the body, Biopuncture can be utilized for issues ranging from allergies to autoimmune disorders. Some of the more common Heel products (all FDA approved) we offer are:
- Traumeel: For relief of muscular pain, joint pain, sports injuries and bruising
- Zeel: For relief of mild to moderate arthritic pain, osteoarthritis and joint stiffness
- Spascupreel: For relief of muscle spasms anywhere in the body including abdominal cramps, menstrual cramps, spasmodic cough, intestinal colic, and smooth musculature spasms
- Lymphomyosot: For relief of swelling due to poor circulation, minor injury and environmental toxins
- Neuralgo-Rheum: For neuralgia, rheumatism of the soft tissues, arthritic conditions and intervertebral disc conditions
- Engystol: For stimulation of the nonspecific defense system in viral infections such as influenza, cold sores and feverish conditions
- Gripp-Heel: For relief from symptoms of influenza including: fever, malaise, body aches, painful joints
- Cerecomp: For circulatory and cerebral conditions including arteriosclerosis, depression, mental fatigue, memory deficiency, lack of concentration, nervousness, anxiety and neurological disorders
- Galium-Heel: To activate the non-specific defensive mechanism, particularly in chronic diseases
Please contact our office with further questions, pricing, or to schedule your next Biopuncture Treatment at (904) 448-0046